The Guelph Armoury located in downtown Guelph was constructed in 1906 for militaristic purposes. Furthermore, the armoury is recognized as a Federal Heritage Building due to its architecture and historical value.
The Guelph Armoury was initially utilized within Frederick Borden’s volunteer militia reforms prior to the outbreak of World War One. The Canadian militia stationed in buildings such as the Guelph Armoury were trained to become an effective military force that would eventually be called upon to fight in the Great War. When the outbreak of war was declared, the armoury became a focal point in Guelph, as fighting-age men flocked to enlist their service to Great Britain and the Dominion of Canada.
As World War Two became more likely due to increasing tensions in Europe, the officers stationed at the Guelph Armoury preemptively planned for wartime expansion. Soon enough Guelph would be granted approval to recruit two units for the Canadian Active Service Force. Recruitment was initially limited to 319 men between the two units, but after just two days of being open for recruitment, hundreds of applicants visited the armoury hoping to serve their country.
In both World War One and World War Two the Guelph Armoury played a pivotal role in not only the recruitment of soldiers but the security of the city of Guelph. Today the armoury is home to the 1882 Wellington Rifles Army Cadets, which was formed in 1884 by Crimea veteran Captain Walter Clarke.
HistoricPlaces.ca – HistoricPlaces.ca
The Royal City at War: The Military Mobilization of Guelph, Ontario during the First 18 Months of the Second World War (uoguelph.ca)
Leave a Reply